FCFL has a Duracraft DP-514 drill press.
A dangerously simple tool.
- Check for loose clothing and hair anywhere near the bit and your workpiece.
- Wear safety goggles. Bits break and chips fly.
- Know the tool, your material, the drill bit and appropriate speed or ask someone who does.
- Double check that the chuck key is removed.
- Keep the drilling table and workspace clear.
- Clamp your workpiece, unless you are using a small bit on a large graspable workpiece of soft material.
- Confirm the bit goes through the center of the drill table or the drill depth does not reach the table.
- Confirm the bit is turning straight in the chuck not wobbling or bent.
- Keep hands and fingers at least 3" away from any cutting or turning edge.
- On deep cuts, raise the bit frequently to clean the chips out of the hole.
- Ease up on the feed as the drill breaks through the work
Safety starts with you.
- Be aware of your mental state.
- How are you feeling?
- Are you tired/hungry/frustrated?
- Are you in a hurry?
- Are you unsure about what you are doing?
These are the conditions that accidents usually happen in.